Sunday, December 22, 2013

Free Knitting Pattern: Lily's Cardigan






Today, I'd like to share a free pattern for a cute baby cardigan.
I made this cardigan and the beanie last spring for my niece, Lily.
I first made a beanie following "Scalloped Lace Baby Cap by Carrie Griffin", and used the same lace pattern to create the cardigan.
As I knit it, I wrote down some notes to share the pattern someday, and almost a year later, here is the pattern! :)

This pattern makes a cardigan measuring 10" at chest on flat (total 20" circumference). I did not grade the pattern to make other sizes yet, but I will soon update the graded pattern. In the meantime, if you want to make it smaller or bigger, you can still do it by simply using lighter or heavier yarns, and smaller or bigger needles.

Download pattern in PDF format 

Yarn: Araucania Ulmo
* I think I used about 1 skein of Ulmo, but I forgot to measure the weight before I mail it. I’ll check the weight if I make the 2nd one.
Needle : 4.5mm circular needle
Gauge: 19sts x 26rows (4”sq in St st), 1 lace repeat: 2 5/8”w x 1 3/4"h
Size: 6~12 month (chest measures 10” flat)

Crest of Wave Chart




Body
CO 109 sts. Knit 1 row.
Follow the “Crest of Wave” chart total 3 times. (total 36 rows)
K1, *k2tog, k5; rep from * to last 3 sts, k2tog, k1. -93sts rem.

Underarm
Row 1: P20, bind of 5sts, p43, bind off 5sts, P20 – 83 sts rem.
Row2: K20, pm cast on 26sts, pm, k 43, pm, cast on 26sts, pm, k20 – 135sts rem.
Row3: *P to next marker, move marker, k to next marker, move marker; rep from * once more, p to end of row.
Row4: *K to 2sts before next marker, k2tog, move marker, k1, k2tog, k to 3sts before next marker, k2tog, k1, move marker, k2tog; rep from * once more, k to end of row – 127 sts rem.
Row 5 & 6: Rep row3 & 4 – 119sts rem.
Row 7: P all sts.
Row 8: *K to 2sts before next marker, k2tog, move marker, k1, k2tog, k to 3sts before next marker, k2tog, k1, move marker, k2tog; rep from * once more, k to end of row – 111sts rem.
Row 9~22: Rep row7 - 8 seven more times – 55 sts rem.
Row 23: K 1 row.
Row 24: Rep row 8 – 47 sts rem.
Knit 2 rows.
BO all sts.

Wearer’s Right Side Placket
Pick up 46 stitches from wearer’s right side CF Edge.
(WS) Sl1, k to end of row.
(RS) Sl1, k to last 18 sts, * yo, k2tog, k5; rep from * once more, yo, k2tog, k2.
Next 2 rows: Sl1, k to end of row.
BO all sts.

Wearer’s Left Side Placket
Pick up 46 stitches from wearer’s right side CF Edge.
K 5 rows.
BO all sts.

Finishing
Weave in ends, and sew buttons on.


* Please use this pattern for personal / non-profit use only. You may use this pattern for charity knitting or to make projects for charity fundraising. Please do not post this pattern anywhere else without permission. Thanks.*

39 comments:

Roamin' Watcher said...

Is it possible to get this pattern as a PDF?

I love it,and intend to make it for a premie little girl ...

Thanks
DJ

Calista Yoo said...

Hi DJ,

I can email you a PDF file.
Let me know where you want to receive it. :)

Calista

Beate said...

I love this cardigan! Gonna make it for our new Granddaughter. Could I get a PDF too? Email is besam2008@gmail.com! Thank you for this wonderful pattern!
- B

Calista Yoo said...

Hi Beate,

I sent it to your email. :)

Calista

precept princess said...

Love it!! But my granddaughter is a 3T. Any suggestions to upsize pattern?? Also pls send PDF I am sure a baby will come along that I will just have to make this!! Tks

precept princess said...

Oops!!! Pls if possible send pattern to my email at emresq1@att.net. Tks

Calista Yoo said...

Hi Precept Princess,

Since 1 lace repeat is 2 5/8”, if you cast-on 12 more stitches, you'll have one more repeat of lace and make total circumference 2 5/8" bigger. This way you can determine now many more sets of lace patterns you need to add to make it fit the chest circumference of your grand daughter with little bit of ease. Then cast off more stitches at underarm proportionally and do a few more decrease rounds until you get the neck circumference you want.
I'll email you the pattern.

Unknown said...

I'm in love with your pattern :o) as I use knit companion could you possibly send me a PDF to n15caw@hotmail.co.uk please. Many thanks

Unknown said...

Hi,
I'd love the pattern in pdf form. My e-mail is gemerald@yahoo.com.
Thank you so much!

Just another knitwit said...

What an adorable pattern! Please, if it's not too much trouble, could I get a PDF version too? lyne_t@xtra.co.nz thank you so very much :-)

Calista Yoo said...

Dear readers,

I just added a link to the PDF file on the original posting. :)

Thanks.

dhara said...

Olá,Por favor,pode me enviar em PDF esse modelo,obrigada bjos

dhara said...

Olá,Por favor,pode me enviar em PDF esse modelo,obrigada bjos

Calista Yoo said...

Hi Dhara,
There is a link to download the PDF file under the pattern description.
Thanks.

Unknown said...

Any chance you've graded the pattern for larger sizes? I made this for my newborn granddaughter and would love to make one for my three-year-old granddaughter. It's beautiful!

jeanne said...

I also have a 3-year old. Could you send me a copy of the pattern, too? My address is:
jeanne_waples@yahoo.com

Calista Yoo said...

Hi Annette,
Sorry I haven't had a change to work on grading, but I posted a note under the comments to Precept Princess above on how to grade up.
You can reference that in the mean time.

Hi Jeanne,
As I wrote above, I haven't had a chance to grade it. If you need the PDF file of the pattern, there is a link to download the PDF file under the pattern description.

cab cats said...

Pdf form please gatoradenz@hotmail.com

cab cats said...

Pdf form please gatoradenz@hotmail.com

Unknown said...

please if it's not too much trouble, could I get a PDF version too? my email is prithag13@gmail.com. Thanks for bothering you!
Pritha

Calista Yoo said...

Hi Pritha & Cab Cats,

There is a link to download the PDF file under the pattern description.
Thanks.

Niftyh said...

Where can I find the pattern for the matching hat . Thanks

Calista Yoo said...

Hi Niftyh,
If you click the link "Scalloped Lace Baby Cap by Carrie Griffin" in the 3rd sentence, you'll get to the page.
Thanks.

Unknown said...

Love this my granddaughter will yo, can u please send the pattern to my e-mail schnan420@gmail.com , thank 5

Unknown said...

Is there a way to enlarge this pattern my 5 year old wants one?

Calista Yoo said...

Hi Nancy,

There is a link to download the pattern between the picture and the charts. :)
I didn't make a bigger size pattern yet. That's on my to-do list but I'm not sure when I'll get to it.Sorry!

coull.callisae said...

This little cardigan is lovely, thank you for sharing the pattern! Can you help me out with something though please? On the underarm section of the pattern, where it states 'move marker' does it just mean, move the marker forward one stitch?
Thanks in anticipation :D Lisa

Calista Yoo said...

Hi Lisa, it simply means to move the marker from the left needle to the right. :)

Barb said...

Love the outfit. Would also love to get a PDF. bguyes@gmail.com Thank you so much.

Calista Yoo said...

Hi Barb,

There's already a link to the PDF version of the pattern in the posting.
Thanks.

Weeknitter said...

Leave this pattern is charted for knitting in the round and should be corrected by the poster. There is no excuse for posting this pattern with the number of mistakes in it.

Calista Yoo said...

Hi Weeknitter,

The pattern is correct for the flat knitting.
If you look at the symbol keys, it show how the symbols should be read if they are on the WS rows.

Thanks.

More Than a Match, Living Kidney Donation said...

Hi i was wondering if you could help me work out the number of stitches i need to decrease underarm if i increase the pattern by 2 lace sets thanks
Dela

More Than a Match, Living Kidney Donation said...

Hi i was wondering if you could help me work out the number of stitches i need to decrease underarm if i increase the pattern by 2 lace sets thanks
Dela

Calista Yoo said...

Hi Dela,

Since this style has small cap sleeves, the number of stitches bound off at the underarm point is not super critical as long as width of the bound off stitches is not too narrow.
I'd calculate it based off of how much % of the original body width you are increasing and round it up.
In your case, if you are increasing the body width by 2 lace sets, it's about 20% increase, so if you increase it by 20%, it would be 6.11 stitches (=5sts x 1.2). I would round that number up to the next single digit which would be 7 and bound off 7 stitches.

Thanks.

Unknown said...

I was wondering if anyone can assist with the 26 st. increase at the underarm. Is it 26 increase on one stitch leaving hole where the 5 cast off stitches were made.

Love the pattern.

Calista Yoo said...

Hi,
Now that I re-read the chart that I wrote up years ago, I can see how that "underarm" section title could cause some confusion. 😆
The under arm cast off is done on the Row 1 of the section and actually that's it for the under arm. The new 26 stitches on the row 2 is to create the sleeve opening. Those newly made the stitches form the bottom edge of the cap sleeve. It's not increased out of 1 stitch from the row below, but it's done by casting new stitches on (I used back loop cast on method). Let me know if it makes sense.

Unknown said...

Love it. May I have a pdf

Calista Yoo said...

Hi There is a link to the PDF in the text. Thanks